Feb 23, 2009

Yarn!

This is the second yarn I've ever spun. I haven't tried spinning at all since that first time over 4 years ago though, so in a way it's the second first time.

Looks a bit twisty, no? Seems like I have a tendency to overtwist. In my attempts to make it as thin as possible, I ended up with some thick and thin spots as well, but I suppose that's what practice is for.

I think, at this point, it would really help me if I could see someone spin in person, so I could figure out exactly how it's supposed to be done. And a nicer drop spindle would definitely be useful. But the yarn came out soft and lovely, and the twisting doesn't really bother me. I think I'll use it to knit wristwarmers, should be nice and warm!

The fiber is super soft merino that mamayaga on ravelry was nice enough to send me (THANK YOU again!)

5 comments:

Nikki said...

Looks absolutely gorgeous! Well done

Marte said...

Thank you :) Now I can't wait to try more!

Megan said...

It looks very warm and fuzzy!

Crystal Rose said...

Hey, I spin too! But the thread that I spin is usually very thin and fine..... but it breaks sometimes. That yarn looks like it might itch. Also, the spindle has nothing to do with it. I have a low-quality spindle made of wood that I got from a cheap kids magizine, and my thread isn't bad. It's the skill that dictates what the thread looks like!

Marte said...

Crystal: The yarn isn't itchy, I've knitted it up, and it's super soft :)
As for the spindle, it really isn't good. I got a new one recently, and the difference is like night and day. If the spindle isn't well balanced and/or too heavy, it will be very hard to get the desired result.