Aug 20, 2008

Because the rain killed most of the strawberries this summer

Seeing as how I'm completely obsessed with strawberries these days (guess what I'm having for breakfast!), a strawberry tawashi was bound to emerge from the needles.
I really love how it turned out, and as soon as the pattern is ready, it will be for sale in my etsy-store along with the other tawashi.

Aug 18, 2008

Procrastinating with dishcloths

Getting tired of working on the "Scala" hat, because 5397308402 rounds with tiny cables on every other round is just painful. I like my knitting mindless most of the time, that's what happens when you get too used to multitasking.

I might be the last person in the known universe to try this, but here's my little ballband dishcloth. It's not the full-sized one, but rather the smaller, double version from candy coated rose petal's blog.

For this I used Bernat Handicrafter cotton, which is the only cotton yarn available to me locally, which is fine, because I actually quite like it. The yarn sheds like there’s no tomorrow (I have to remove a layer of fuzz from my hands every ten minutes or so), but the end result is so wonderfully soft that I don’t care.

I love how this dishcloth is just the right size, and really thick. Nevertheless, now I'm considering making some larger ones to use as potholders. I guess that would be the original ballband dishcloth, but double.

When the time comes to make another one, I’ll try to make the edges more tidy - not that they look bad now, but I’d really like to find a way to use an i-cord as edging instead of the crochet. The thing I hate about single crochet edgings is that they never look quite as nice on the wrong side - and the whole point with this dishcloth is to have it fully reversible!

Sorry about the over-exposed photo. It's hard to take decent pictures at night, and at the same time night is my creative time. Good thing I'm not a professional photographer!

Aug 12, 2008

Summer hat

Here is one of my new summer hats! For some reason, it ended up being pink. Don't ask me why, I usually go for purple or black. I guess my subconsciousness decided pink was the color of the day.
The pattern is simple. I just modified the eyelet-pattern from the Gemma beret, and then decreased a lot to make it slouchy.
The hat is made with Bernat Handicrafter cotton, which is actually very soft compared to Sugar & Cream, but sheds like a bitch. Don't knit with your laptop on your lap... just trust me on that one. Unless you don't mind the keyboard being covered in fuzz, that is.

This is the first time in.... 20 years or so, that I've actually worn pink voluntarily. It might be a sign of my brain degenerating as I get older, but I prefer to see it as "yay, color". ;)

Next task up should be making pyjama pants with the skull fabric I received for last Christmas. Because pink and skulls go together perfectly. Or something.

This entry brought to you by Death - Zero Tolerance.

Aug 6, 2008

This summer is like a scene out of Blade Runner!

...by that, I mean that it's been raining all the time.
Hi! It's been a while since I updated. It's not that I haven't been knitting, I just haven't been able to take good pictures of anything.
Right now I'm working on the "Scala" hat by Woolly Wormhead. I'm using Elann Coto Canapone, which is actually very nice to work with. I had to add a pattern repeat, since I'm using smaller needles than recommended, and the cotton/hemp yarn seems to be thinner than the worsted weight it is supposed to be.
Can't wait to finish the hat, it should be very soft and nice. Hopefully there will be some nice weather so I can take a picture of it outside when I'm done!

Of course I do lots of other things at the same time. Someone asked me if I would make an acorn tawashi, so I did. It took me quite a few tries to get everything the way I wanted, but now it's done, and a pattern will be available soon.

I've also tried mastering the garter stitch graft, but can't for the life of me get it right. I follow the instructions, look at pictures, try everything - no matter what I do, it ends up being stockinette graft. I'm ready to give up on the instructions and just fiddle around on my own until it looks right.