Oct 25, 2008

Nearly invisible join of the last round - crochet

If you're like me, that last slip stitch join when you crochet something in the round drives you nuts. I don't want to see where the round begins, especially if it destroys the symmetry of an object.

This is how I do it. Note: For this to work, the rest of your project has to be crocheted with joined rounds. You can do it without joining rounds too, but it sort of defeats the purpose, since then it won't be symmetrical no matter what you do.

Ok, here we go:
Instead of joining the last round with a slip stitch, do as follows: After working the last stitch, cut the yarn. That large loop you see in the image is the last loop on your hook, the one you pull on.
Pull the yarn loop all the way through the stitch.

Find your trusty darning needle. Thread needle with your yarn tail, and poke it through the two loops of the first sc of the round.

Then turn your work so the wrong side faces you. Push needle through the two loops on the back of the last dc of the round.
Now pull yarn through, and this is what it will look like before you adjust the tension to match the rest.
Finished view. Weave in ends, and there you go. Now your flower can look perfectly symmetrical :)
This can be adapted to a number of different stitches. I love using it on hats, among other things.

8 comments:

♡My ♥ Taube♡ said...

OH !!
I was looking for that !!!
you help me so much !!!

=^-^= kisses TAUBE

Marte said...

Awesome! So all my "hard" work wasn't for nothing ;)

♡My ♥ Taube♡ said...

OH DEAR !!!
I am using that way to finish my work and is spectacular !!!
is so much beautiful !! ^-^

BTW .. how is your arm ??

=^-^= kisses TAUBE

Marte said...

Awesome :)

My arm is still not better, but oh well. Some day :p

Loonie said...

Hey I tried your flower pattern today, I already made three of them, I'm already teaching it to my sister and I was actually wondering how to do that very part better. Then I read more of your blog and hey ! you give the answer !

Thanks !

Marte said...

Loonie: You're very welcome! Good to know my little tutorial was useful :)

Heidi said...

Hi there!
I will be selling crochet patterns in my Etsy shop soon, and have written up instructions for making an invisible join. However, I know that many people will want more detailed instructions with photos of the process. After searching around quite a bit, I think that this tutorial is the most clear and has the best photos.

So, here’s my question: May I refer people to this post if they need more instruction?

Thanks!

Marte said...

You can, as long as you make sure to tell people to direct any questions to you :)