Sep 10, 2008

Fall is here, why am I not knitting something warm?

Actually I am, just not for me. I decided to be unselfish and nice and all that, so now I'm knitting socks for my husband. Hoping they will fit, because I did not do a gauge swatch. Want to know a secret? I rarely do. I guesstimate, and usually it turns out fine *crosses fingers*



A while ago I saw this adorable hat on ravelry. (You have to be a member to see it, sorry).
I fell in love with it, but didn't feel like ordering a book from Japan just for one hat. After postponing it because I was lazy, I decided to try to make one anyway. It wasn't too hard to figure out at all. I decided to go with twisted rib instead of the 2x2 since I love the way it looks, and instead of only working the pattern up until the decreases, I kept it going all the way. It's now my favorite bad-hair-day-hat ever, and I use it all the time despite having at least 5 others. What does that say about my hair... oh, never mind ;)
I used Elann's Coto Canapone, which is a blend of hemp and cotton. It shed a lot while I knitted with it, but not at all when I'm wearing the hat. Which is good, because linty hair is not really my style.


~

~

~

~

Aside from that, I've been knitting dishcloths. Lots and lots of dishcloths. I got tired of having to waste paper towels on cleaning the counters (and we always forget to buy it anyway), so here are the very environmentally conscious companions of my tawashi. I will be making a lot more, they're fun to knit in different colors. I decided on the standard granny pattern because it's my favorite to use and clean. Besides, it never gets boring with variegated/striped yarn!


My next project (aside from the socks, of course) is to knit a swiffer cover. We bought a swiffer years ago, but never used it after the initial package of disposable wipes ran out. It just seemed like too much of a waste, and they weren't very good anyway.

No comments: