Jul 6, 2008

An eventful week!

Two days ago, I woke up to Jeff telling me that I might want to clean some of my clothes and jump in the shower, because in two hours we'd be going to Quebec City!
Turns out he had arranged with a friend to go there for the 400th anniversary of the founding of the city. They were going to have crazy huge pretty fireworks, a Van Halen concert and probably lots of other thing that we didn't have time for.

I'm not really a fan of Van Halen, but it was nice getting out of the countryside for a while. There were 75 000 people at the concert, and they all wore little red blinking lights (that was the festival pass). After the concert, we went to a hotel the friend's cousin was the director of, and guess who checked in while we were there? David Lee Roth, with a huge perma-grin stuck on his face.

The fireworks were really great too. I took a bunch of pictures, but my cam isn't very suited for pictures at night. Still, I think some of them came out ok. It lasted for half an hour, with so many explosions you wouldn't believe it.

400 000 people were out in the streets that night to see the fireworks. We had to walk for 1 1/2 hour to get to the car, because all the buses were full and the streets were crowded. I actually enjoyed the walk! Way better than waiting in line with a car for 2-3 hours just to get out of the city, that's for sure.

I almost forgot the most important news, though: In the car on the way TO Quebec City, the cellphone rang! The call was for me (whoa, that hardly ever happens), and just like that, I got a job. I had stopped by at a local thai-restaurant with my CV the day before, so on thursday afternoon, the owner called and asked if I could start working the very next day. Of course I said yes! Today was my second day at work, and I think I'm doing quite ok. I've never worked in a kitchen like that before, but it mostly consists of running around like a madwoman to get everything done :p
I'm really happy about this job, because I love thai-food, and now I will actually learn how to make it the right way! Besides, the owner (and chef) makes me delicious food every time I work. Oh, yeah, did I mention it's one of my favorite restaurants? And now I get food there for free! <3

Please excuse me if I don't update a lot for a while - this job thing is quite exhausting, and I don't think I will have a lot of time off. I CAN get some time off if I ask, but at the moment I just want to earn some money so I can save for moving, a new computer and other fun stuff.

2 comments:

Hilde C. said...

Gratulerer med ny jobb! Å få jobb og i tillegg gratis mat på sin favorittrestaurant høres jo nesten for godt ut til å være sant :-)

Marte said...

Takk, takk :)

Det er hardt arbeid, da. De vil helst at jeg jobber hver dag, og jeg loeper rundt som en tulling hele tida for aa faa tid til alt jeg skal gjoere. Men det er verdt det, for endelig har jeg jobb igjen :)