Mar 27, 2008

Linkdump - a collection of patterns for tawashi

Last updated June 5th 2009

Because I can't knit myself for a while, I figured I'd take the time to look for neat patterns to have something to look forward to.
This benefits you as well, because this will be one huge cute-filled post.

Now, just so you know, I have not actually tried all these patterns, I just like them and think you should see them as well.
A lot of these are not written as tawashi patterns, but they're small, quick, and will serve the purpose just as well even though they don't have the right name in the title. You might want to change any stockinette sections to garter stitch though, since the garter ridges have superior scrubbing power!
Speaking of scrubbing power; most tawashi are knitted using acrylic yarn. This works for me, and is a good way of getting rid of all that old acrylic you didn't know what to do with.
If, however, you want to use your tawashi as a washcloth instead, I suggest you ditch the acrylic and use cotton. Your skin will thank you.

Let the tawashi love begin!

First of all, my favorites (these I HAVE tried):
The Tribble! (knit)
This is the one I could not stop making. I make a slightly different version of it, though - 14 stitches cast on and 24-28 rows knit. I also used a different increase because I didn't like the way the kf&b looked.
You can even make this one without the increases/decreases if you feel like it, but then I recommend you do it like I did, with fewer stitches and rows. It's one of the quickest, easiest things you can possibly knit.
Wishy Washy Fishy Tawashi! (knit)I know I will make piles of these. Some for the kitchen, but more importantly I will make some in cotton for the shower.
Citrus slices tawashi
! (knit and a little crochet) This is not a free pattern, but at only $2.50 it's definitely worth the cost.

My own patterns:
Tawashi knot (Knit, $2.50)
Tawashi leaf
(Knit, $2.50)
Acorn tawashi (knit, $2.50)
Bellflower tawashi - this one has two versions in the pattern (knit, $3.50)
Sunflower tawashi (knit, $2.50)
Super simple tawashi flower (crochet, free)
Frilly tawashi (Knit, and completely free!)
Strawberry tawashi (knit, free)
Peppermint tawashi (knit, free)


Patterns I like, just not as much as my favorites (or I haven't tried them yet):
Pineapple tawashi (knit) Not free, but still very cheap, just like the citrus slices. $2.50.
Scrubbie dots (crochet) Free, but only available on Ravelry.
Hand, foot and flower (crochet) A cute set of 3 different tawashi for $2.95.
Stripey tawashi (crochet) Free, and very well explained.
BB-style tawashi (knit) Free. In the style of the ballband dishcloth.


Japanese patterns
Egg, sunny side up! (crochet) The image links to a pdf
Koi (crochet) The image links to a pdf
Japanese doll (crochet) The image links to a pdf
Round flowery tawashi (crochet)
Octopus and carrot tawashi (crochet) The chart is at the bottom of the page as a linked image.
Christmas ornaments tawashi style (crochet) Direct link to pdf
Orange tawashi (crochet) The chart is at the bottom of the page as a linked image.
Panda tawashi (crochet) The chart is at the bottom of the page as a linked image.


More Japanese patterns. The links lead directly to the pdf-files, but there's a small loading screen first. Don't panic, the pattern will show soon.
Spirally circle thing, kind of like the tribble (crochet)
Fruit tawashi (crochet)
Square linked ring tawashi (crochet)
Cute bow tawashi (knit)
Frilly small tawashi (crochet)
Semi-circular (horseshoe) tawashi (crochet)
Amikomo fish tawashi (crochet)


The "not-really-a-tawashi-pattern-but-we-like-to-improvise" section:
Some of the following patterns will need stuffing. I suggest you use something that will dry quickly - the Japanese patterns I've seen seem to use some kind of sponge, but be creative :) Or you can just ditch the stuffing all together and use them as-is!
Delicious strawberries (crochet)
Country heart coaster (crochet)
Country star coaster (crochet)
Bath puff (crochet)
Neat heart coaster (crochet)
Modular pentagon coaster(knit)
Crochet fruit pattern collection (crochet) $4. Some of these are very small, but could still work if you use a thicker yarn/hook.
Flower coaster (crochet)
Fruits and vegetables basket (crochet) Not sure if they would all work, but at least the carrot, banana and grape can be used. The cylinder shaped tawashi are usually used to clean glasses, in case you were wondering.
Star coaster (crochet)
Hippo applique (crochet) Link goes directly to pdf. Another very small one, but thicker yarn should do the trick.
Heart (knit) This is really a pattern for a scarf, but you can just use the heart part of it for a cute little tawashi.
Teeny weeny garter stitch coaster (knit)
Baby fruit and veggie rattles (knit) Don't forget to throw some garter ridges in if you make these :) I'm not sure how functional they would be, but they're adorably cute.

As you can see, most of the tawashi are crocheted. They're not very complicated though, so if you prefer knitting them instead, you can figure it out from the pictures most of the time. Just make sure you use lots of textured stitches, like I said in the beginning.

I'll end this post with a link to Tawashi Town on Ravelry. It's a very helpful, friendly group of people, so if you need help with something (say, Japanese charts), that's the place to ask :)

6 comments:

Trollmor said...

Hei:) Takk for hyggelig kommentar i bloggen min:)Mønsteret på kjolen får du på www.birgirsdottir.no Den finnes i flere farger. Jeg valgt brun:) Ha en riktig god helg.
Hilsen Trollmor

Marte said...

Tusen takk for linken Trollmor, den skal legges til i bokmerkene mine :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the list of tawashi patterns as well as the link to Tawashi town! The Japanese doll pattern was too cute to pass up and Tawashi town's instructions were enough to help me give it a go!!

Anonymous said...

I would love to see the link for the Tribble tawashi, but I'm getting nothing when the page loads. Has there been a change? I love your own patters, trying a couple tonight - great to get rid of the scraps I can't just throw away!
Thank you for posting these.

Marte said...

Dear anonymous person,

Here is a direct link to the pattern pdf. I don't know why the page doesn't load anymore, it's a mystery!

carlita dee said...

Wow. Is it coming on too strong to call you my new best friend?

You have truly saved the day with these fun, easy flowers. They're PERFECT as b-day gifts. They're great when you don't want to give dish washing tawashis because they're not quite personal enough, but you don't want to give something too intimate either.

I mean I love these to pieces. I bought some eye makeup remover from Target to go with them. These will be my go-to gift.

Thanks a million for sharing this pattern! I'll be telling everyone about it.