Oct 25, 2007

Knitted boob

This all started with my husband wanting an Oppai (which means breast, iirc) ball from Japan, for the pure silliness of it. Since those are kind of expensive, I decided to make him one instead. The first one I made was red and pink, with a huge, pierced nipple.

This is my second try. More natural colours (although the more cartoony looking one was fun too!), and a better looking nipple than the first boob.

I don't know what more to say... it's a boob, and it's cuddle-friendly XD

knitted boob

Pattern
Yarn: Whatever you have at hand. I used worsted weight.
Needle size: If I remember right, I used 3.5 mm needles. Just use needles smaller than what's recommended for your yarn, and make sure the fabric is dense enough to hide the fiberfill.

The boob in the picture is about 5" in diameter, to give you an idea of the size.

Using provisional cast-on, CO 32 stitches.

01. Knit 32
02. Turn and purl 24
03. Turn and knit 22
04. Turn and purl 24
05. Turn and knit 22
06. Turn and purl 24
07. Turn and knit 22
08. Turn and purl 24
09. Turn and knit 22
10. Turn and purl 24

(I used the JG: Yarnball Pattern as reference for the short-rows.)

Repeat rows 1-10 12 more times, 13 sections all in all. Knit one row even.
Put cast-on row on another needle, removing the waste yarn. Use kitchener stitch to join first row to the last.

Pick up stitches around the bottom hole. Knit one round then decrease evenly until closed. You can try using one round of k1, k2tog and then k2tog all around on the last round. Break off yarn, pull through the remaining stitches. Weave in end.

Stuff the boob with fiberfill. I know it's kind of hard to do it through that tiny hole, but it is possible.
For the top hole, you can either treat it as the bottom hole, or leave it open. It doesn't matter too much, since it will be covered by the nipple anyway.

Nipple:
CO 8 sts (I prefer to use the magic loop for this)
Knit 3-4 rounds (depending on how ... erect.. you like your nipples XD).
Next round: Knit in front and back of every stitch. (16 sts)
Knit 1 round even.
Next round: K1, knit in front and back of next stitch. Repeat around (24 sts)
Knit 1 round even.
Next round: K2, knit in front and back of next stitch. Repeat around (32 sts)
Knit 1 round even.
Bind off.

Stuff the nipple with a tiny bit of fiberfill so it's nice and perky, then sew the opening closed.

Attach the nipple to the boob, using a bit of yarn the same colour as the nipple/areola.

Do a little dance to celebrate and honor your new friend!

Please don't copy this pattern to other websites - provide a link to it instead. Thank you.
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

24 comments:

Pam Stephan said...

this is the best example of a knitted prosthesis i've seen! great job!

Jenni said...

Thank you SO MUCH!!! This is awesome. I just finished knitting one for my boyfriend for his birthday.

With the fiberfill, I also stuffed in a small plastic bag full of sand to give it some weight.

Great pattern!!

Marte said...

Thank you :) I hope your boyfriend enjoys his new pet.

Smart idea with the sand-filled bag, I didn't think of that... I'm considering making a pair to use for a wrist rest, will definitely give them a heavy base then!

Amber said...

Would you consider selling one of these? I am asking because I nurse my son and I think one of these may help make weaning easier when the time comes.

Marte said...

As much as I appreciate your request, I can't really take on any knitting now, since my arm hurts too much to knit much.

As far as the weaning goes, wouldn't a pacifier and/or a soft organic cotton pillow to huggle work just as well, and be less... yarny if he decided to taste it? :)

When my 10 year younger brother was that age, he "adopted" one of my doll pillows and used that as his feel-safe object. He loved it to pieces, and would use one corner to tickle his cheek with until he fell asleep, it was very cute :)

heather said...

this is absolutely awesome :D
can i ask what the color name of the nipple yarn was?

that has to be the oddest question ive ever asked anyone. BRILLIANT!!

Marte said...

I just used some cheap acrylic yarn that I doubt is available in other places, and it didn't have a color name - I don't even think they sell that shade anymore! Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Becca said...

I lol'd so hard when I saw this pattern. I made it for my husband, filling it with some fiber fill and scented rice. He keeps it in his car as a "stress-relief"...ball? XD...and said that he thinks of mine when he squeezes it ;O

Marte said...

Aww, that's hilarious and cute :p It's like I always say, boobs are great stress relievers!

DreamSlave said...

Wow, I can't believe I've never come across your page before. I'm going to try to knit this today!!

Jen said...

This is awesome! I had so much fun knitting this ^^ Also, it's the first knitting project I've ever finished... thank you so much!

Anonymous said...

just made one in bright pink and dark purple for the nipple. looks fab! thanks for the pattern!

Pink Peonies said...

its hilarious! just what I was looking for, a fun gift for my friends hen night. Thanks for the pattern!

Foxxy said...

Any chance you have an adapeted pattern that becomes an infant hat? That way if they are being breastfed it will look like mom's boob is exposed.

Marte said...

No, sorry, I don't have an adapted pattern. But the nipple is made separately, so you could just make any infant hat and attach the nipple on top :)

Biskityas said...

Awesome. This will come in handy as a visual tool for showing new mums how to hand express milk. And it'll make an interesting stress reliever!

Anonymous said...

Brilliant. Laughed so hard when I saw this!

Anonymous said...

Brill, just what i was looking for! starting as a student midwife in a few weeks and need one of these, now i can attempt to make one myself!
Lauren

Anonymous said...

Would make an awesome beanie for bubby to wear while you're breast feeding ;)

Anonymous said...

I had never heard of these until a friend told me about one of her best friends just having had a double mastectomy, desperately wanting some knitted boobs. Her future is not good, but thank you so much for sharing this and allowing me the opportunity to help a friend give a priceless gift to someone she cares about.

AndieMarie said...

This looks great!! Can you tell me what the approximate finished size is? Thanks!

Marte said...

I'd guess it's about a c-cup :p

Anonymous said...

I'm having issues, I've gotten to step 10 and I've still got stitches on the right needle, and I need to knit 32 for step 1 again, could you email me ASAP?

bethyrox@hotmail.co.uk

Marte said...

It's hard for me to know what happened without seeing it.

Sometimes you just have to start over and follow the instructions one step at a time :) (Sorry, don't have access to my email right now)